Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mariners' Game

We decided to take a real adventure with this crew and head to Safeco Field Wednesday afternoon for a matinee game of the Mariners vs. the Oakland A's. And because I thought it might be fun for a change and possibly cheaper than parking (I don't think that ended up being true, but hey...), we decided to take the bus there. We drove to the Everett Transit Station and caught the bus to downtown Seattle. A crowded bus no less. The nice thing though was we had no screaming baby. Tripp, as many of you know, hates the car. I am learning that is probably isn't so much hatred of the car as much as hatred for not being right with mom. So he was happy as a little clam, wrapped up on me the whole ride to Seattle.


Elliot waiting for the bus, very excited!

We got to downtown Seattle and Justin said, hey let's get off the bus and just walk the rest of the way...it's not far. Famous last words considering you have a 5 and 2 year old and an infant. But we made the trek (a little over a mile when it was said and done) and found the ballpark.

We made it to our bleacher seats directly in the sun. It was HOT!!! Justin went to get everyone a hotdog which we all enjoyed. Then I went to go get some drinks, but at 3.50-5.50 a pop, we shared and visited the drinking fountain.






There was a little play area for kids so we let them run around there for a bit during the game as well. Then we moved to some different seats out of the sun and it was much nicer. We actually made it through about the 7th inning before we decided it was time to see if we could catch another bus back. After a little confusion with the buses, we made it back to downtown and headed to McDonalds for a MUCH needed drink. We ate a few french fries and downed a couple sodas as we watched the serious riff-raff that are in a downtown Mickey D's. Down right comical.
I could have spent all day there people watching. As we were headed back to the bus though this is poor Grey, asleep on daddy's shoulders:

We made it back to our bus and had a nice ride back to the Everett Station. Hopped in the car and true to form, Tripp cried the whole way home in the van. Hadn't made a peep the whole rest of the day. It was a fun outing and a good memory. Although, Justin and I had to laugh. We love public transportation especially after visiting NYC, but it is far more glamorous there and without kids. And as a side note, why are the scuzzies scuzzier in Seattle than in New York? We just made that observation on this little excursion.

2 comments:

Kacey said...

Sounds like a pretty good outing with the three kids. Do you remember when Garth and I came to stay with you and went to a Mariner's game with just Carter? We came home in such a tizzy (after a screaming kid at the game, a dropped root beer float, and crazy Seattle traffic) we vowed to never take a young one to a game again. Seeing your pics made me think it might be fun to try again.

Eric and Rozanne said...

Not bad for 3 little ones in the big city! I always notice the scuzzies more when we have our kids with us cause I'm in "protective mode" I guess. I think NY public transportation has a better crowd because EVERYONE uses it. We used it when we went to NY too, and it was great! We never tried the bus in Seattle though.