Last week Grey had his doctor's appointment and here are the stats: 27 3/4 inches long and 19 pounds, 3 ounces. He got his 6 month shots and I think had a little reaction to them. He had a fever that night and into morning and a bad runny nose. Then to make matters worse, he burned his little hand on the space heater that night and fell off the couch the next morning. I know, Mother of the Year, I am not. I ended up staying home with him on Wednesday instead of going to work, maybe to try to redeem myself. He has seemed to forgive me (except when he is SCREAMING in his crib).
On a lighter note, I have mentioned before that we have started doing better with Family Home Evenings and we have had a lot of fun with it. We keep them very simple and short, but Elliot loves it and frequently asks during the week if it is Family Home Evening tonight. You can find lots of fun lessons and things, but it is sometimes hard to gear it towards the really little kids. In the February Ensign there is an article about the new nursery manual, Behold Your Little Ones, and how to use it.
They suggest that it be used in the home not just on Sundays. I found one in the closet in Primary on Sunday and borrowed it. It is FANTASTIC!!!! Anyone with little kids should get one from the distribution center. The lessons are easy and there are pictures and coloring pages and everything all included. I was so impressed. So last night we had our FHE lesson on prayer as Elliot is trying to say prayers herself. We had things in a sack labeled "We Thank Thee" and in another sack labeled "Please Bless Us." We pulled things out and talked about how we can pray for these things. And we sang "I Pray in Faith" which is one of my favorite primary songs.

They suggest that it be used in the home not just on Sundays. I found one in the closet in Primary on Sunday and borrowed it. It is FANTASTIC!!!! Anyone with little kids should get one from the distribution center. The lessons are easy and there are pictures and coloring pages and everything all included. I was so impressed. So last night we had our FHE lesson on prayer as Elliot is trying to say prayers herself. We had things in a sack labeled "We Thank Thee" and in another sack labeled "Please Bless Us." We pulled things out and talked about how we can pray for these things. And we sang "I Pray in Faith" which is one of my favorite primary songs.(No Grey in this picture as I think he was upstairs crying in his crib...go figure).
One last thing...I wanted to give a shout out to my husband. I was reading an article in a parenting magazine last night about griping about your husband and it was basically women complaining about their husbands and how they have to do everything and he never contributes. I will admit that sometimes I feel the brunt of the things of keeping the household running, plus I work 2 days a week outside of the home. But I feel like Justin works pretty hard for us too and he is very generous with giving me time for me. He let me leave for 3 or 4 hours on Saturday to go to a cricut class, plus an hour early to run. He makes sure I get those runs in as I am training for my marathon. He spent ALL day yesterday (his MLK Day off no less) working on fixing our tub drain only to find out that it didn't work and he has to start over. He helps a lot with the kids and is very hands on with them. I just am very grateful for all the he does for us and that he loves me so much.






7 comments:
Those days getting the sleep schedule down are so hard. It's been so long ago with Emily but I remember how difficult it was and how exhausting. Hang in there! I think it's great you are working on it now rather then much later when it's probably harder.
And thanks again for the info on the Cricut class. That was such a nice break for me, too and I really enjoyed it.
Yes we are so lucky....I have no idea how she started to sleep the way she does. It is not because I know what I am doing ....that is for sure...ha ha! For awhile there she was taking cat naps all day..like 20 minute naps here and there...for the first 2 months...I thought I was going to go crazy! I am dreading coming back to WA...and dealing with the time difference...we might have to start all over again...uggg! Hope the sleeping gets better...I bet you are so exhausted.
Hey I am sending something to your e-mail on FHE's ....my friend just sent it to me and it is awesome! Take care!
It is definitely worth it in the long run to force them to learn some good sleep habits. I read a book with Carter that changed our life. He was not a good sleeper at first. It is called "Sleeping Through the Night" by some female PhD that I can't remember her name. You should check it out. I have re-read it each time I've had a kid just to remind myself how to get going. Good Luck!
Hang in there!!! That is so frustrating trying to get them to sleep on their own. I hate being tired too so it annoys me even more. We like the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". It was recommended to us by several others. Good luck!!!
Your cricut class sounds fun and I agree, that manual is cool. I forget to use it for FHE and I need to.
You forget how much you LOVE sleep until you have to go without. My little Bronx is finally waking up only once through the night, which is a drastic change from every 2-3 hrs, so he is getting better. I cant wait until it is all night. Like you said This to shall pass. We just have to hang in there. Love the FHE ideas. Thanks
It has got to be something in the air b/c Shelby has had a hard time sleeping this past week too. It is sooo hard to let them cry. I do the same thing wondering if she's scared, hungry, sick, has a poopy diaper, you name it, when she cries I think it hurts me more than her. Sounds like you're doing great though. Good luck! (Makes me wonder how my mom did it with 7 kiddos)
Post a Comment