Monday, July 13, 2009

Swim Lesson Nightmare

Elliot loves to go to the swimming pool. Swimming lessons are another story. She doesn't want to put her face in the water, she doesn't want to participate, she gets nervous around the other kids (I guess?). I don't know what the deal is. After the first day of her freaking out (not joking, like crying and screaming as her teacher is trying to get her to do her floats), I took her to the pool by herself and worked on the floats. She did them all beautifully for me. I thought she would do great with her teacher, show Kate all we had worked on. I thought wrong. It was ridiculous. We practiced again Tuesday afternoon. Justin took her Wednesday and Thursday to lessons and no better. We actually got the "maybe you should try private lessons" talk. So embarrassing.






Yet she smiles right before having to do anything:
Today was the first day of our second week and I thought it might be a little better. Yeah, she didn't even get out of her clothes. We sat on the deck of the pool the entire lesson. I was fuming. So now, my question is do I make her finish out her last 3 days, or do I just bag it and move on? I don't want her to "win" and not have to finish, but I really don't think it is accomplishing anything. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Kristin said...

That's a tough one. I might have her finish it out just so she learns to stick through something. You're obviously better off teaching her yourself. I'm actually jealous, we tried to teach Dylan on our own and he wouldn't do a thing but does great after we decided to breakdown and pay for lessons. Darn kids!

~ kietra ~ said...

How aggravating! I would probably have her go and stick it out, as awful as it is for you. Maybe try a celebratory ice cream date if she does finish? Hope it goes well.

Eric and Rozanne said...

It's so hard to know what to do in situations like that! Jarem started to freak out with me, but with his teacher he was better and put his face in the water after his teacher asked him. Anything you can bribe her with??? :) I'm all about bribing. :)

Heidi said...

That is what Kate did her first year of swim lessons and I made her stick it out even though I was fumin' mad too. It really is annoying. I understand how you feel! I bribed her with her favorite candy and she did get in the last couple of times. The minute swim lessons was over with she was like a fish in the pool for free swim so I knew she liked the water. Ridiculous. Good luck.

This year she loved swim lessons so maybe next year will be better.

Black Family said...

oh bummer! she sure looks excited sitting on the side of the pool..lol...hope it gets better.

Black Family said...

Ya that jar stuff is pretty nasty. Do you have some other ideas for me of what I could feed her at 9 mo.? Would love it!