Saturday, April 2, 2011

Reading game

I have really been trying to push elliot into reading, which has been just as frustrating for her as it has been for me. Thanks to my sister-in-law Lisa who sent me a link of an easy "game" to make and use to help kids put sounds together. You use paint sample cards from the hardware store. Today we went to Home Depot for their free kids' workshop and I grabbed handfuls of those paint cards.

Here are the kids with their eye protection ready to hammer away!



So here is the website with the idea: http://thesnailstrail.blogspot.com/2009/05/whats-in-workbox-handmade-word-family.html

Basically, it is taking smaller ones and cutting into individual sections and then I used a punch so that a letter or set of letters will show through as you practice blending the sounds together. As you can see, it makes for lots of word options- some real words, some not.


Elliot tried it tonight and was being very successful! Because you work on one type of word at a time (for instance "-at" words) the repetition is great. So far working better than flash cards!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Grey is so cute!

That is a cute idea for learning to read!

the Sayler's said...

very cool - I may have to bring that one into the classroom

Kacey said...

What a great idea! It is so fun to see your kids learn to read. Carter is hooked on the Harry Potter series and it is great to see him love books like I do.