Saturday, June 20, 2009

Visit to the Dentist

Being in the dental field, I would hope that my children would be perfect, cooperative angels in the dental office. Not exactly so. Elliot has had a couple of little "practice appointments," but 6 months ago she was going to try to really get her teeth cleaned and checked. It was a nightmare. She wouldn't lay back in the chair so I polished her teeth with her sitting up. I tried to sit with her so Dr. Klingel could check her teeth, but ended up holding her down with her screaming at the top of her lungs. I was so embarassed! I stuck to my guns though and she left with only a toothbrush- no other treats or toys that we give to the kids. Not even a balloon.

So 6 months have passed and it was time again for her to come to the dental office. We watched Bernstein Bears going to the dentist video and have been talking about it non-stop trying to prep her for it (doing the same thing really helped for the doctor's visit a couple months ago). She was still a little nervous, but did AWESOME! I didn't even think about having my camera there, but Justin took this picture with his phone.
So if your kid has been bad a time or two at the dentist, don't fret. He or she may just need a little more time and try books and movies to prepare. They have worked really well for Elliot!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Kate reacted similar. By the 2nd visit she was fine, but still won't use the suction. She spits into a cup (GROSS!). She doesn't like the vacuum cleaner either so something with things that suck. Weird. But I know how you feel about your kids liking going to the dentist when you work in the dental field.