Friday we are leaving behind our little house at 209 Columbia here in Ephrata.

It is definately bittersweet. We are sad to leave friends that we have made in this little community and our jobs and such here. We excited though to see what is in store for us in the next phase of our life. As we leave the house we have made our home, I am flooded with memories of all that has happened here.
Justin pretty much picked out this house and fell in love with it. I wasn't so sure when I came here and saw the gold spackled mirrored wall:

Or the lovely, 1980s peach kitchen:

But he had high hopes for this house for us. He was here for a couple months without Elliot and I as we waited for our house to Olympia sell. We came over on a couple weekends and helped paint and such:

I loved the color we chose for the living room upstairs and we were sooo excited to pull up the carpet and find gorgeous hardwood underneath. We exposed the wood floors in all the rooms upstairs.

Justin totally transformed the kitchen to much more our style:

And little Elliot got her pink room:

Later we would do more renovations like painting all the rooms downstairs, new carpet downstairs, adding storage units, and just making it our own. We made a huge garden one summer in the back yard and the next spring laid sod in the back yard. There were issues about the house though we found- people must have been shorter in the 1950s because the ceilings are low, basements are dark and cold, ants suck, steep driveways in the snow suck even more and squeaky wood floors can't be remedied. But there was a lot of love in this house and I have to admit that I will miss it. I will miss the fact that it is ours and that we made lots of memories in this house, including adding two boys to our family while here. While I am looking forward to living mortgage free for 3 years and serving my parents in a way that no one else can, I am sad to be leaving. I am looking forward to the adventures and opportunities that we will have in Arlington, but I will miss what adventures we would have here. I don't know what we will be doing or where we will end up in 3 years, but Justin and I have decided that we want to make a decision of where we want to be and stay there. We don't want to move again EVER!!!
Thank you to all our friends here who have made us welcome and for the good times we have had. I didn't think I would ever fit in when I got to this little town, but we ended up fitting well which makes it even harder to leave. Can't say if we will be back, but you never know...
5 comments:
This makes me sad and happy for you! You have done a lot to that house so you're right about all the memories you have there. I feel bad for your friends...you are a good friend so you'll be missed in that small town. It will be interesting to see where you guys end up in 3 yrs. I still think you are brave giving up jobs and moving away. ;)
Its SO hard to leave your first house! Looks like you guys made some awesome improvements on it though! I had to smile at how little Elliot was in the picture where you are painting the living room. Time flies!
It seems like you just moved from here! Good luck with the move. I hope you guys love it in Arlington!!! It will be nice to have it all over with.
You guys did alot of work to that house, which I bet makes it so much harder to leave it. Its exciting though to see what will happen next for you guys. Good Luck!
I love this post...it fits exactly how I have felt when we have moved. I love the story and the pictures of the improvements. Best of luck in Arlington. I totally agree with you on making our next place where we stay. Moving and leaving good friends behind isn't all it's cracked up to be. We plan to make our next move permanent too. It's so hard to decide where now?
Post a Comment