Thursday, December 31, 2009

Utah Trip

As part of our Christmas gift, my parents took us all to Salt Lake City for a few nights. My brothers would be able to snowboard for a day and we could see the lights at Temple Square and it is an easy place to fly in and out of. We drove to SeaTac Sunday afternoon and made it through the airport and through the flight really pretty easily.

Michael with Grey:
Grey took a very strong liking to Michael. We could all be in a line and he would everytime choose to go to Michael. It was very sweet, but I am afraid Michael maybe was getting tired of it come the end of the trip.



Monday morning Justin and I got up and went to a session at the Salt Lake Temple. It was a first for both of us and a wonderful experience. We even got to stay afterwards and do a few sealings which was such a great thing to be able to do. Neither of us had done sealings since our own sealing and this was a cherished reminder of those covenants that we made to each other and to our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the opportunity that we had there.
That afternoon we all headed to Provo to the campus of BYU. I got to go down memory lane a bit as I spent 2 years there. It was sad to see a few things different, like DT and the old creamery gone, but lots was just as I remember it like my dorm at Gates Hall. We went to the bookstore for a souvenier or two and then to the new creamry for an ice cream. Somehow I failed to get some pictures of being here. So sad.

At Chuck-O-Rama Buffet Monday night:
Tuesday, my brothers headed to Park City for snowboarding so we spent the day together just as our little family. We headed to Temple Square to check things out.
At the Church History Museum across the street from Temple Square there was a great "I Am a Child of God" exhibit. It was just like a children's museum and free!

This was the nursery for the baby dolls:

Lots of coloring stations:


A bean bag toss:

Stars and stained glass like at the temple:
Follow the strait and narrow path:
And you will find the tree of life:
Build a temple:

Be in a nativity:

We went across the street into temple square and walked around for a bit in the snowy weather.
We went into the Visitor's Center and saw the Christus statue. Elliot loved it and it brought tears to my eyes seeing her look up at him as we hear the voice of the Savior come across the speaker.

We went up to the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and even saw a bride coming out of the temple! Later we realized that at this time of year at this temple they are a dime a dozen, but I am glad that Elliot got to see them all and kept reminding her that she wants to get married in the temple someday.
Horray! He's asleep!
All of us at the view of the temple:
Still sleeping:

We met up with my mom and went to a nearby mall to bum around a bit.
We obviously wore them out:

At dinner Tuesday night:

Tuesday evening to see the lights at Temple Square:

Michael with his little buddy:
The nativity all lit up. The story is told over a loud speaker over and over through the night. Again, brought tears to my eyes.
Mark and Elliot at breakfast:
Wednesday before we headed to the airport, we stopped at Brigham Young's house. These are pictures from the tour that we took.

This is a little window for Brigham Young's children to look down at the front door to see who was coming to visit without being in the way:
A living room:

A playroom- note, no wii:
Kitchen:
Justin and Elliot:
Walking back to the temple:
All in all, it was a great trip. It went by all to fast, but most good things do. Thanks so much to my parents for all that they did for us in providing this trip. It was nice to be together as a family, but we missed Aaron who is serving a mission in Canada. We will have to catch him next time. We made it back without much trouble too and now are enjoying a couple days at home with not much on the agenda which has been wonderful.

5 comments:

Kacey said...

What a fun trip! I am so glad the flights went well. That can get hard with little ones. Merry Christmas!

Anna said...

The picture of Elliot in front of the Christ statue is by far the best picture. How awesome to take them to do all those things. Im sure the Salt Lake temple was awesome. Im glad you guys had fun and got a little vacation.

Leslie said...

What a wonderful trip! You went to all of our favorite stops - the temple, children's museum, visitor center, chuckarama, and byu!

Heidi said...

What a fun trip! It makes me want to take my kids there to visit. I love the picture of Elliot looking up at the Christus- too precious. That children's visitors center is cool. I want to go to the SLC temple for a session...it's on my to do list. Glad you had fun and I'm sure it was nice to have extra help with the kids going on the airplane.

Eric and Rozanne said...

Wow! lots of fun pictures! I can't believe the old creamery is gone, I used to work there. At least you can still get ice cream at the new one. :) I love the Children's Museum place, and also Brigham Young's house. We're gonna have to check those out next time we go.