Monday, September 29, 2008

How little blessings come

I went to our stake standards night last night and many of my thoughts throughout the program were that before we know it we are going to be dealing with these hard issues with our children. It seems like they are going to be 3 forever, but they won't be and we will be dealing with dating and modest clothes and all that stuff. Then I had a totally unrelated thought about our family. We need to have Family Home Evening. We had it sporadically for a while, but nothing real consistent. It always seemed like every night was family night and unfortunately the tv was on and in the way. How could we have FHE when we needed to watch this show! But last night I knew that all of the problems (sleeping, screaming in the middle of the night, attitude, talking back, etc.) we have been having with Elliot could only be helped by us having FHE. They probably wouldn't magically all disappear, but it certainly wouldn't hurt and we would be doing something we should be doing anyways. So tonight I planned a FHE complete with prayer, song, lesson, scripture, game, and treats. Elliot loved the time spent all together and really I did too. With no tv. And tonight Elliot went to bed the easiest she has gone to bed in the longest that I can remember. No crying or in and out of bed or needing random things to go to sleep. Just brush teeth, 3 minute snuggle and she was out. I really think that Heavenly Father gave me an answer to prayer at that meeting last night in my random thoughts and as a blessing for being where I was suppose to be to support my calling. We will see if she wakes up tonight and how tomorrow goes, but I know that we are being blessed for having the tv on so much less and for deciding to have Family Home Evening.

7 comments:

Black Family said...

What a neat post Heather! It is so true....Jake and I have really tried to do FHE every week.....even though it is just the two of us. It has blessed our lives so much.

Adri and Cory said...

What a great post. We need to do better at that too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Leslie said...

Well, hey there! I didn't even know you had a blog. Maybe I missed you mentioning it when we were all chatting about it at the park. So I'm glad you commented on mine so I could discover yours!

I always feel so appreciative when I get those little thoughts or promptings that help out. I tend to get them at unrelated times too and when I follow them I can really see the blessings. We used to be so good at our FHE until this year for some reason and are trying to get back on track.

T said...

It never ceases to amaze me how we think we are going to get one answer and instead of getting what we want, we get what we need. Do you know that Michael Mcclean song? I attest to the fact that little things DO make a difference in our kids. It's those small things that are the easiest to let slip.

The Sobotta Fam said...

So good to hear all that you wrote! I'm just learning that with little ones around it is that much more important, and yet more difficult, to set aside family time. We have to be very intentional about it or it doesn't happen. What a great idea with the "FHE" to include God/prayer/scripture and family fun!

Heidi said...

That is neat! I love ephiany's. I hope it sticks and Elliot will give you guys a break. :) We started holding family night every week at the beginning of the year and Kate loves it. She will choose the song (almost always Twinkle twinkle little star). It's fun. I love the gospel art kit from ldscatalog.com. Check it out.

Behling Family said...

Hey, this is Aut. That was such a great post. Sometimes FHE is the last thing on the list, and shouldn't be.
Your kids are adorable. Im glad your blogging. It is such a great way to stay in touch.